Taking a BITE out of Pop Culture!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rise of The Planet Of the Cowboys OR Apes And Aliens

The other day while waiting for car repairs my hot wife and I took in a Double Feature.

COWBOY AND ALIENS

Thank goodness this flick didn't take itself seriously because it would have ruined the fun. It was a fast paced western/sci-fi/action (how often do you get to write that) with a good storyline (with very few plot holes) and really good acting (still odd to me that Daniel Craig got top billing over Harrison Ford) and great effects. I loved the creature design of the aliens. I was very happy at the characters' honest reactions when it was revealed why the aliens were there. All in all I'd say catch this flick if you are looking for a fun ride that you don't have to do too much thinking through.

RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

I should mention I am a fan of this franchise (minus the god awful Tim Burton piece of shit remake). That being said I was very much looking forward to this flick. I was promised action, lots of nods to the original and answers to questions that were posed in the 70s. I got all I was promised. With the source material being The Planet of The Apes it easily could've taken a cheesy turn, but it stayed on an honest path of "evolution" and the mistakes man makes when he "plays god". James Franco is a one trick pony in my opinion but thankfully that one trick worked here. Tyler Labine (REAPER), David Hewlett (CUBE), Tom Felton (HARRY POTTER...) and Brian Cox (ZODIAC, X2) all give excellent performances, however the stand out role (and the actor I didn't know was in it) John Lithgow delivered a heart breaking role that quickly had you loving him. If you were a fan of the franchise (and really really want to forget that dung heap that was Tim Burton's remake) than you should see this movie at all costs.

But then again...this is just my two cents...spend it as you wish.


No comments:

Post a Comment