Taking a BITE out of Pop Culture!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I don't wanna rock DJ

Recently I have been hired to DJ a wedding. I can not wait as any of the listeners who made it to the ZvS New Year's BASH know I LOVE TO DJ A GOOD PARTY!
As I sat with the happy couple discussing how the day will go it dawned on me just how many songs get played at weddings all over this country that honestly should have never been played at a wedding to begin with, tons of songs that have been so overplayed at weddings everyone should just STOP already, and then there are those that are so fucking annoying that we should just call it quits.
Here are some of those songs...

WHITE WEDDING- Billy Idol
Just do a quick search on the possible meanings of this song and you will find anything from incest to pregnancy to cocaine. Billy Idol himself has said he is confused that so many folks play this at their weddings. No matter what meaning you find in the lyrics of the song we can all agree this isn't an innocent "love song" that we should find at a beautiful ceremony.

WONDERFUL TONIGHT- Eric Clapton
Let me start by saying I love Clapton. He is amazing at everything he does. This is a terrific song that I have always enjoyed. But let's get down to brass tacks and discuss the STORY played out in this song. An inattentive man and his beautiful wife are going to a party, he gets so shitfaced bombed that she has to leave the party early drive him home and put him to bed. At least he appreciates all she does for him in the end but still not a story you should tell at a wedding.

THE CHICKEN DANCE
 Of all the annoying repetitive crap dance songs that people are addicted to this is the worst. And that's saying something because it goes up against the Macarena, the Electric Slide, the Hokey Pokey and most recently the Cha Cha Slide. It digs it's way into your brain and stays there forever. It isn't fun to watch either at least with YMCA and The Time Warp you have some fun dance steps with it. The Chicken Dance I believe was written by Nazis who like to watch your drunk 80 year old grandmother make a fool out of herself.

CELEBRATION- Kool & the Gang
This song falls in the "well duh" category of music. Seriously do we need to be reminded that this is a celebration? I don't think so. I enjoy this song as a fun bit of music but it is overplayed at parties let alone at weddings around the world.

This is just a small spattering of stuff that should be avoided at all costs. Please consider letting the Celine Dion rest, no more John Mayer and his cliche crap, and can we all just leave that fucking song Please, Don't Take the Girl by Tim McGraw alone.

Again my two cents.
Got a song you feel is overplayed at weddings? Leave a comment letting me know.

1 comment:

  1. Sting's - I'll Be Watching You...it's a stalker song!!!

    ReplyDelete