Taking a BITE out of Pop Culture!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How's YOUR summer movie going been so far?

4 quick reviews from my Summer viewings so far...


1. X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

So this movie has been getting a bad rap for some reason. I thought it was well acted with some cool effects (although I would've still rather seen BEAST (my favorite X-men character) in a practical suit instead of the digital effect they used). Yes the film took some liberties with the whole X-MEN history however if you just take it for what it is, a new story to reboot a franchise, you will enjoy this ride.

2. HANGOVER II 

Zach Galifianakis has been quoted in interviews as saying this movie had a better script than the original. Which may have been true IF you have never seen the original. Mostly it's recycled jokes and crude visuals with none of the actual heart of the first one. Yes I said the first one had "heart." I don't want to spoil the two or three laughs I actually got out of this film but they come very late in the game. 

3. KUNG FU PANDA 2 
I took a class of students to go see this and they all really enjoyed it. It was no where near as good as the first one of course. It did have it's moments though including an awesome and funny villain and terrific fight climactic fight scene. Of course to milk more money out or audiences they set up for a Kung Fu Panda 3. But what I will take most from this movie is the effect of water on the Panda's fur. It glistened and moved like water should. I like my cartoons to get this realistic.

4. GREEN LANTERN 
On the flip side however I like my real movies to have real people and not feel like a cartoon. I mean would it kill Hollywood to give us ONE practical effect? The story was just rehashed FIRST FLIGHT script. Ryan Reynolds did a great job, yet to see him do a bad one even in a bad film. I don't know what demon this Blake Lively chick sold her soul to in order to get a career but if there is any way it could take her away now it'd be nice. She is a block of wood with boobs. The film gives you what you were expecting in the build up to a bigger and better story but a word of warning, remember Fantastic Four? A weak first film that promised a great sequel which was just okay. 

Just remember all of this is just my two cents. If you were planning on seeing any of these then by all means still go see it. But if you were on the fence I hope these helped. 
@jayeofmanyhats


2 comments: